Re: Outlawry

From: donald_at_xJOQ2asLhQg7QZZ7E0suY8T1tMv36v73F34YXIkqe7zKjR0LxlQGoSXxRewp4ssyw2_3g
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:14:48 GMT

In message <7bc3b3h8hjd4u0jd5dfls7pjbm1r12343f_at_1mcS_HWfyS2S5m1Qq10uSgj3f8_CeM8E0RhMrqOQ8kmj91Fhfdhe7rkhrPHEDl6Mv9iheGpKN0iLxfNOe1RxFMR9yoG8ujLFsRWTLWAqh1MyXKhu9w.yahoo.invalid> Stephen Tempest writes:
>Greg Stafford <Greg_at_n3USY4noRALyaCYhXfVBLlvtWjlnGJ-r5nvTHhs9zF_vf1UyEiKZv-GR7YOL4d_VGN9jyeS-f4-a584.yahoo.invalid> writes:
>

>>Too bad for the individual to be outlawed. He ought to have thought of
>>that before he committed some offense so heinous that it would offend
>>the people who are normally obliged to support him in just about anything.
>
>Just to thrown in something else: what about the clans who are forced
>to outlaw one of their members by outside political pressure?
>
>"Those rebels who've been raiding Lunar caravans? They're not part of
>this clan anymore, Mr Governor, sir. We've outlawed them."
>
>It would seem odd for the Sartarite rebellion to be cut off from
>worshipping Orlanth. ;-) But if the clans are simply lying to the
>Lunars and haven't gone through the outlawing ritual at all, isn't
>that extremely risky? If they get found out, the entire clan will be
>punished - and it's not as if the Lunars don't have enough Heortling
>collaborators to be able to recognise a correctly performed ceremony,
>surely?

"How can we perform the ceremony correctly? It involves worshipping Orlanth which you've banned. We're just simple farmers following Barntar. We don't have a godi of Orlanth to complete the outlawry of someone".

Remember that political outlawry still involves excluding the outlaw from the clan tula and the only people who get to know the details of what's happened are members of the clan. While I think most clans have some Lunar collaborators it's the rare individual who will take that as far as betraying clan secrets. These are the kin you've grown up with or married into.

There seems to be an even bigger anomaly in the published material. Kallyr has been outlawed yet she is repeatedly acclaimed King of the Kheldon tribe. I'd suggest this sort of behaviour drives the Lunars mad but is perfectly normal to the Orlanthi mindset.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/