Re: Example of a "learning a feat" quest?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_0YTmmRPU0aVegxV_Pkmq1BImFsRagGZaYQago4v4ldTL_L6qy1aguHX3SRNgBxkM8fReXN7>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:53:02 -0700

<mailto:200708141446.12913.lightcastle%40gmail.com>> "L.Castellucci" writes:

> >On August 14, 2007 01:14 pm, valkoharja wrote:

> >> Does anybody have an example of the sort of rituals / questing one

> >> does to learn a feat? I'm going to run some introductory stuff to a

> >> new gamer who is going to play a Vingan, and wishes to focus on magic.

> >I've been more and more perturbed about the "learning a feat" quest.

> >If it's a Hero Quest, then you only have the one shot to do it, yes? (I

> >can't remember if that rule was lifted.)

No, that is incorrect.

Normally Feats are, as I have said, learned during the community worship services. You may try and try again. It is very common for the whole community, or large parts, to go along and learn whatever is useful for the clan that season.

> >Secondly, this means all Feats are available to any non-initiate willing

> >to do a heroquest for the feat. That's fine, except that Animism and

> >Wizardry are not similarly stealable.

Again, that is not correct.

Not entirely correct.

First of all, a person must have some sort of affinity for the deity to operate with it and move in harmony to obtain the Feat. As has been said, a Feat/Affinity is something you _are._ So if you are not of Hedkoranth, you can not learn his feat.

> Sure anyone can take on that HQ but without the cult secret knowledge

> they won't know the stations, just the general outline of the myth.

> And the myth requires the questor to emulate the god which a

> non-initiate will be less able to do. So what to initiates is a

> calculated risk becomes a highly dangerous practice for the average

> person.

This is correct.

Anyone can try to imitate he entity and "steal" the magic. But it is really, really difficult.

Imagine trying to be the wind, when you are not.

> You can steal charms although you require someone to atune them to

> you. Just as you can steal grimoires but you have to learn to read

> them. Different techniques but stealing magic does happen.

Correct.

--Greg Stafford