What is your story was Re: Terror in War - Short

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_kK2z2b5IWf2J7BTtUz5gbNZKd-98Dv_8fxh5zALM80woFi8SGaExSzskqvPio9zT9IA>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:49:00 -0000

Ian Cooper:

> I am not sure that this 'quest for truth' we seem to embark on
> regularly is ever productive. I do not think that you really want to
> ask the Heortling rebels commit atrocities. What you want to answer
> is: in my game do I want to represent the rebellion as having
> committed atrocities?

I totally agree with this approach, myself. To me the question of whether it's possible for Kallyr to function as a rebel leader without having been involved in atrocities is a minor side issue compared with the question of whether such a thing improves my game or not. If my game is better for taking an 'unrealistic' approach, then that's what I'll do, and I make no apologies for it. Often realism helps games, but there are times when it doesn't.

Is it unrealistic in this case? Does it contradict all the real-world sources about how Scandinavian heroes and their ilk behave? I don't know, and I don't particularly care. Still, Greg's opinion, while unlikely to affect anyone's campaign in either direction, might give some hint as to how the GAC will approach things, and that might be useful to know. Discovering that, I suspect, was Rob's intent when he made his original post, which I summarised to clarify the question.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic