Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi

From: donald_at_4dSmXVmjC3GGcRoiUFCGCOpXjeFd2g0JETcZ3Pr2g9jJk_DGFWOksLDih_t8Y36PtUBQN
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:15:20 GMT

In message <fbrg71+p0ld_at_eGroups.com> "bryan_thx" writes:

>I especially agree with those last few words. I think what Roderick
>said sounds about right for devotees. I suspect most initiates are
>not nearly so extreme. If nothing else, a solitary hunter has a hard
>time making effecient use of his kills--hard to eat a larger animal
>before it goes bad, and there are only so many furs and hides you can
>use, if you want to take the time to prepare them. So while a devotee
>may roam, hunting only lightly (probably looking for a challenge), I
>would think most initiates make more contact with others. During
>prime hunting seasons this may require others to come to them in their
>hunting grounds, but still there is that interaction. But overall, I
>think initiates are still hunting more for their family or clan, while
>devotees are mostly hunting for themselves/Odayla.

Why assume that an Odalyan is going to hunt large animals? I'd suggest the more typical practice is to hunt those animals which provide a few meals such as rabbits. He'll preserve furs and hides as his contribution to his clan and in return for the things he can't make such as metal knives. Sure he'll probably bring a large kill when he visits people who can use or preserve it.

I expect a devotee to be really wierd - is that a bear or a man? Someone who turns up at his brother's stead unexpectedly with a load of furs, exchanges a few words or grunts and wanders off without even staying the night.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/