Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi

From: donald_at_bFBLklQ2oL08H7PubPfaj4AV2C-hV5uKRjcMdaGKmwCb29kjJYfj1svDyvbge28F0KFlE
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:16:24 GMT

In message <fc1u0a+es8l_at_eGroups.com> "Toread DuDerysi" writes:

>> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com, donald@ wrote:
>> >
>> > That's assuming they are returning "home" after the hunt. Since
>> > Odalyans often don't contact their clan for a season or more
>> > large kills are usually going to go to waste.
>>
>> Unless they have magic to preserve the meat, a Hunting
>> affinity feat which is so far undocumented, because the
>> authors of Storm Tribe simply didn't think of it.
>>
>Or they preserve the meat the way hunters have always preserved it.
>Smoking or drying it soon after the kill. Just like folks have done out
>in the real world for a few thousand years.
>
>I don't think that magic is required here...

Most preservation techniques require facilities that a hunter isn't likely to take into the wild. A smoke house is a small building and drying racks need supervision to prevent other animals making off with the meat. There's also the problem of carrying a large kill back to their home stead when it's a week or mores journey. Could be done if really needed but doesn't usually make sense. I can imagine during the Fimblewinter clans sending parties out to meet up with Odalyan hunters to bring food back but not in normal times. Of course during the Fimblewinter meat preservation isn't going to be a problem.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/