Re: Carmanian Darkness Cults

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_H6v0xMsPfUg-bCAM4osUR9bnwyUHr8JU2e9KWXx79rq48XdfLfnnB_c3q96ZB7_sV5g>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:26:57 -0400

> Benedict Adamson wrote:
> > And where did those darkness cults originate? The difficulty
> > seems to me that, when the Carmanian religion formed, all darkness
> > cults would have been co-opted into the Spolite religion and therefore
> > anathema to the Carmanians.

Greg Replied:
> Exactly. Which is why there are no official Carmanian darkness cult.

That said, there are a number of (sub)cults that Darkness leaning Carmanians might gravitate to. Hu'makt, for example, is not technically a "Darkness" cult but does have underworld associations as the God of Death. Turos the Ruler of Below (Entekosiad p57) is a Light god with a strong underworld role. It is this sort of connection that I think might have been invoked at the battle of Four Arrows of Light when "The body of Carmanian deities drew up in shadowy form hovering over their army, endowed to their fullest power and manifested in their Dark Aspects, as destructive agents rather than the bringers of Life." (Redline History, Zero Wane)

A more liberal interpretation might simply mean any divine aspect devoted to the Oppose the Lie side of the Carmanian faith. In that case the term "Dark Aspect" is used metaphorically rather than literally. I don't know the bias of the Redline History's author, so he/she may have misinterpreted what actually happened.

In any case, I see worship of darkness entities constantly seeping in around the edges of the Good Religion - particularly (but not always) in Spol. It is in the nature of such cults to thrive in the shadows - and the brilliance of the Wise Lord casts very deep shadows. This is one reason that the Carmanians must remain ever vigilant against the Dark.

~Kevin McD