Re:Various Orlanthi scripts

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_PIvyTm5MR6SXbPYVz38U87AJ_G6BvlXoLsGlqNelSfL13K7a2eLrs-t8EAeSsdlHt3b>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 07:53:18 -0000

Jeff Richard:

> Spirit Speech, Storm Speech and God Speech are RQ3 rules constructs.

Well they were around way before RQ3. They might have been mentioned in Wyrms Footnotes, but were defintely there for RQ2, perhaps even earlier in concept.

> Greg recently emphasized that they do not really exist in Glorantha.

Well, maybe not now ....

Spirit Speech always seemed to me to be to be artificial - spirits of the deceased should speak the language they spoke while alive and other types of spirits should speak the language associated with their element/power/sphere/whatever.

Storm Speech and the other Elemental Tongues are a bit more complicated. I personally like the idea of the Elemental Tongues as being the language of the Gods of a particular element/power.

I can see languages such as Heortling/Theyelan as being derived from Stormspeech, Esrolian/Oasis Tongue being derived from Earthspeech and the various river dialects being derived from Waterspeech.

I am ambivalent about God Speech. On the one hand, the primal language spoken by the Gods, a language of Power that has magical abilities simply by being spoken is a good idea. One the other hand, there is no real reason why all the gods should speak the same language. Cultural Gods should speak similar languages, so Dara Happan Solar Gods should all speak Dara Happan, or a version of it, Gods of the Storm Tribe/Orlanth Pantheon should speak an early version of Heortling, Malkioni Saints should speak a Western dialect and so on.

> I do think that the Talastari were given their script by the
> Theyalans. BTW, Greg and I have done a fair amount of thinking about
> the Talastarings recently, and I hope to post some of that in the
near
> future. Some very interesting stuff......

Sounds good.

See Ya

Simon