Re: North Pent

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_e01fPYy-_th-4SlUMZZ1_n1iDKm38b4-BaY69rnjF9HmL35rLH4vdVAsFuZ7BnDnfXmE061>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:56:35 -0800

YGWV Tadaaki Kakegawa wrote:

> The most ambiguous is that Genertela and Vithela, and Pamaltela and
Luathela
 > are connected or not.

Nice map, Tadaaki! You ought to send it to Nils for the fan map site!

As Andre said, the earliest maps do show these continents linked. The same map appears on page 27 of the Wyrms Footprints and shows them connected. However, that was early and speculative. Note for instance that it does not even include the Glacier that covers the entire northwest of the world, and that the White Sea is open to the sky for is entire length instead of the long tunnel under the ice that we now know is there.

Just FYI, in my latest conceptions of the outer world these continents do NOT touch. A distinct current flows from the north into Kahar's Sea, for instance. Likewise, the sea flow from Jorkar's Sea into the outer ocean.

However, I have not been there for quite some time.

It possible that, due to the nature of the outer world, these areas are *both* connected by land and broken by sea.

To reply to the original question: once a person passes out past a certain distance---what Tadaaki astutely calls the Time Wall--- the distances become uncertain. So does time. Check the time that Snodal was gone, for instance---it was not so long for him.

Finally, up north past Pent the land gets increasingly bleak and cold, less and less habitable by normal creatures. Trollkin probably wander out there. Too far and it is not even really tundra, but something even more bleak.

--Greg