Re: And a Pent religion question

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ObTBSOxBFqs9yi5KT_xJR698YLZuYR66F4J-GATNLnB9MZzLQV6eThq8aXiSyR6Jd34>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:20:23 +1300

At 07:41 a.m. 17/11/2007, you wrote:
>In the RQ3 Genertela book, it suggested that about 20% of Pentans were
>now storm worshippers. Is this still the current view?

The Storm Pentans worship the Four Winds of Pent who were thought to be Orlanth, Humakt, Gagarth and Storm Bull under different names. I really think the Storm Pentans are a messianic movement led by the Bronze-Sworded Prophet and that the interplay between Solar and Storm Pentans is far more diverse (ie Pentans were worshipping the Storm long before the Bronze-  Prophet). Hence the 20% is the size of the Prophet's horde.

Other possible Pentan religious traditions:

Sheng Seleris - worship of Jolaty. 'nuff said.

Rinliddi - bird worshipping folk probably as old as the mythical empire of Kestinendos in Dara Happa.

Dara Happa - most probably Jenarong era religious practices other holdouts from other periods (Kastok etc) are possible.

Ignorance - worshippers of the Black and Bloody Suns. Grisly practices and feared by other Pentans. Possibly worship the Hellcrack as the Birthplace of their God.

Praxian - similar to the Pol Joni except that Storm Bull and Gagarth rather than Orlanth are worshipped.

Hykimi - These are probably clans with totemic beast protectors (Tiger, Eagle) rather than Horse Hykimi. The Yak clan would have herds of Yak, the Eagle clan famed for hunting with birds of prey.

Teshnan - probably brought back from the conquest of Teshnos during the Seleran Empire. Charming, cultivated and laid-back.

Valindites - Winter worshippers. Perhaps the origin of the North War Wind.

Chaos - another influence from the south. Headhunters, Broos and spreaders of disease.

Kralori - probably refugees from whatever political transformation has occured in Kralorela (ie NiangMaoists fleeing the imposition of Daruda's draconism, the Gang of Four fleeing Thalurzni, the Yanoorists fleeing the God Learners and the Immanent Masters fleeing Godunya).

--Peter Metcalfe