Re: Do Ducks have cavalry?

From: Nick <seatonstomb_at_IlDVCGsSqnHspW36baiDAarwMVTCMeGN14nego0kmNipwn_WqMBJcrVXxBUE1E26>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:50:45 -0000

> > I believe small cannon were mounted on elephants
> > in 18th Century India.
>
> "small" being something like a 2.5 cm bore? The main problem with
> those was not so much recoil but the weight of the weapons themselves;
> they were juge compared to modern blackpowder weapons. You needed a
> platform to mount them on because they were too darn heavy for a
> single person to lug around and employ with much mobility.
In the 16th and 17th centuries there were light artillery pieces called Leather Guns (with much of the metal replaced by leather) these were packed on horses or mules and were very mobile compared to other guns of similar bores. They were dangerous to fire as they were prone to exploded.

Nicholas Smith