Re: Thief saints in Seshnela

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_WDnbo8ip8WBixBA3dxW7W6RGFC2eiff96oDv4DIJAGF5-gnksSvWpXZ5v>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:36:34 -0000

Of course the Catholic Church has a patron saint of thieves: Nicholas of Myra.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintn01.htm http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761574698/Saint_Nicholas.html

The church says he is supposed to help them repent of course... but in the middle ages thieves felt he was their saint. I have no idea if the UK English expression 'nick' meaning to steal is derived from this.

As above his holy day is Christmas Eve when we celebrate his provision of dowry to three daughters by giving presents. Of course since he started using the alias of Santa Claus it doesn't seem to be strictly necessary to steal our gifts any more, but breaking and entry via the chimney is still de rigeur.

So yes, once a year, a lot of us raise a toast to the Saint of Theives!

And of course there were the two crucified thieves. I'm sure that at least one of them has probably been revered by some heretical sect somewhere.