Re: Thief saints in Seshnela

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_5ci4zfJsuXmz2TR-TNwKy2qctG_mCEO5kx6kRQXKYPYndVyqO2uO-bWWm1EwIrFgsDN>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:54:27 -0800

"Ian Cooper" <ian_hammond_cooper_at_KieD1tw8zYS8c9ZgRFMHe6lVDu46wxr6RWupvY4evzMBy4vDNURiLemUF-DkAy9MFv7j4670hdbd7v5ruH91Y0PlPRKLCtNm.yahoo.invalid>

> And of course there were the two crucified thieves. I'm sure that at
> least one of them has probably been revered by some heretical sect
> somewhere.

The "thief on the right"--the one who said "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom"--is widely venerated as an exemplar of repentance. He's generally known as "Saint Dismas"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Dismas -- though the name is extra-canonical).

I don't know if any thieves ever venerated him as a "thief's saint" per se, though.

It may be significant that Bill and Ted came from a town named for him--San Dimas, California. But it probably isn't.