Re: Mysticism and Dream Magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_xnb_4XSyBtsoLpMkYr-wf8R63owiY6bv6hw6AtC_sHonBBF5EJVoyVAwwCzM1z1_GGk>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 23:13:48 +1300

At 08:06 a.m. 5/03/2008, you wrote:

>I'd read [hopeless damnation] as "inability to reach the ultimate". If the
>transition transforms the spiritual organ of the former mystic into one of the
>three world modes, all that "damnation" means you enter the ways of
>the Three Worlds.

IMO this is wrong. The destruction of the Great Self is the equivalent (or worse) of being a chaotic, a vampire or being swallowed by the Crimson Bat.

>For a majority of Easterners, that's the norm, and even more so for
>the outside world. A non-Easterner taking the mystic path and failing
>would fail to see damnation in this. Such as Sheng Seleris, I suppose.

Sheng Seleris knew he was damned at some level when he failed the final test in the torture camps. He couldn't have progressed so far and so quickly if he had not wholeheartedly believed in the philosophy. So why did he fail? My guess is that he had once sworn an oath to walk on the Moon and his tester pointed out that he had not done that yet.

>If your temptation makes you an equivalent of Belintar or Takenegi,
>the "hopeless damnation" appears quite bearable. Just avoid being
>confined into an alien hell...

Belintar and TakenEgi are not fallen mystics by any stretch. Both have strong connections to the Transcendent realm.

--Peter Metcalfe