Re: Illumination and lies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_6Doro4zx0SLLpIlc-6nM9tZTRFqNOTkMDMbwiIXqaUzdUqo2A6NX_k9vXku3EF3vdzR>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:09:34 +1200

At 07:24 p.m. 2/07/2008, you wrote:
> > I also note that worshipping Lhankor Mhy is not the same as
> > joining the Storm Tribe. Lhankor was a son of Mostal and
> > so has an existence outside the Storm Tribe. Ergo it should
> > be possible to worship him without being an Orlanthi.

>It is possible to worship Lhankor Mhy or initiate to him outside of
>the Storm Tribe - but probably not in Orlanthi lands (I imagine that
>is something you'd see in cities with lots of foreigners like Nochet,
>or in Umathela). In places like Pavis or Jonstown, foreigners are not
>going to be able to participate in LM's secret mysteries without
>serious testing and other folk vouching for them.

I won't argue about the cosmopolitan status of the Jonstown temple here as the only data point there is one Jacques of Ralios (Minaryth's Troll Facts #3). However for the Pavis Knowledge Temple, we are told that the Knowledge Temple is split up into four factions, only one of which is Sartarite. In particular, the Irripi Ontori share the same facilities as Grey Sages which seems odd if they were separate deities.

In my opinion, the best way to handle this would be to have the knowledge temples worship knowledge in some Great God fashion (as per MoLaD). Most Grey Sages will shun ties to the storm tribe as a rusticism that interferes with the pursuit of the truth (Sartarite patriots are always free to disagree). That way the factions are now free to try and pilfer each other's magic as well as research. This will also allow the presence of minor oddball sages in the temple (Pelandan Logicians, Buserian Scribes, Praxian knot-makers cryptic Atyari, Aeolian Lhankorings, Free Philosophers and so on) for additional colour. Perhaps it's a Holy Country practice. But I don't see why it should be denied to the Jonstown Temple.

--Peter Metcalfe