Re: Secrets of the Darkness

From: L C <lightcastle_at_xosMMYGedMQdzkz6MEB4r4j6vkfkyTMCaOH0OqFFlUFwwDltrkC4GYlm5AU0ibHQ>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:00:11 -0400

Greg Stafford wrote:
> YGWV
> L C wrote:
>
>> OK, It's been a while. (Only just crawling back to Glorantha.)
>> The Kitori are the infamous "half man/half troll" tribe, right?
>>

> Not exactly. People have throughout history interpreted them to be
> trolls sometimes, and sometimes humans. Sometimes as monsters, or even
> as shades or demons. But in truth, they are none of those.

*nod*
Which is why I put it in scare quotes.

>> So they are actually a Darkness tribe?
>>

> Yes, they are a darkness tribe.
>
>> (United by this sacred knowledge,
>> rather than by blood.)
>>

> It is true that humans interact with them, and when it is friendly, they
> appear to be humans in every way. Likewise, when trolls interact with
> them, they appear to be trolls in every way. Their respective handling
> of iron is one of the big factors--as humans, they can; as trolls they
> cannot. but the differences go farther than that, such as in
> reproductive activities. A troll mating with a kitori spawns a troll,
> etc. So they do have actual human relatives, and actual uz.

Fascinating. And (if I read the previous story correctly) at one time there were even more races this would apply to. (It is, of course, possible this is still true, but since they are now surrounded by primarily humans and trolls, that's who we get stories from.)

>> I love this idea, btw. (And it's true in my Glorantha from now on.)
>>
>> I just want to make sure I'm remembering it right.
>>

> Más o menos, but in truth, it is a mystery.

*smile* But of course.
> One more thing--there are creatures/beings that /appear to be/ human or
> troll, and can (with some strong and hard magic) have their "true form"
> revealed. these, applied to the kitori, /prove/ that the Kitori are
> humans or trolls, depending on their intent.
> Mind you, most people are convinced that the Kitori are trolls and
> humans, both in one tribe. The above is a "secret," or "higher
> knowledge," or some such. [It is always difficult to present information
> of this nature in a manner to differentiate "in world" or "out of world"
> knowledge.]

*nod*
That is always the dilemma.