Re: Cults of Sartar - status report

From: continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_uIJfZZe4cFWRTpxseVkQXFn2bg0dLozah2BCeMCIq3RjlolNo-087w9EcJMTt0>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:04:24 -0000

 L C wrote:
> Jeff Richard wrote:
> > Interestingly, the streamlined rules actually allow more complexity
> > and flexibility in presenting Gloranthan magic in your game. It also
> > makes the magic more intuitive for player and narrator alike.
> >
> This sounds promising. Not having seen the Gloranthan magic appendix of
> HQ2.0. I am unsure how much things have changed. This sounds like a
> Divine-magic only book, but I'm hoping to be wrong about that.

The rules do cover shamans and wizards very well also.

There are no mechanical difference in the rules for the different magic systems. No special rules or anything like that.

Divine Magic users use Rune Affinities as direct abilities not just augments. An affinity is something you are.
Spirit Magic users have spirits tied to runes that they can use as direct abilities not just augments.
A spirit is something you have.
Wizards cast specifically named spells either as direct abilities or augment. A spell is something you know.

Narratively there are differences between three systems which then affects the mechanics to a certain extent.

Affinities are often Broad Abilities and cover a wide remit. Broad abilities have a higher difficulty rating. Affinities are split down into Feats that tighten their function more.

Spirits are more versatile and often have ambiguous uses. They can be very useful in the right conditions though at other times they could be rendered useless. Charms are associated with spirits and have a tighter use.

Spells have a very tight function and do exactly as they are written. It is hard to use outside their remit as they are not very adaptable. Grimoires are the collection of spells that are tied to a particular rune. As a wizard get more powerful they may discover more spells.

Cheers,
Darran

Go to Continuum!
Web - http://www.continuum.uk.net
continuum2008-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'- http://darransims.livejournal.com/