Re: Where does 'gyrda' come from?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_nCYzTxpULgMef7F5qvBbAyZeLLl7tiQ5cEua0Bl6EXFTyg5VDGGrTp9Tp1EG2wVU11Gga>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:50:12 -0700

> Illumination says that it removes some of the (artificial) limitations
> between the otherworlds. It allows a person to act as if they were
> concentrated in the appropriate otherworld, whatever that otherworld
> actually is.
>
> I am curious if it breaks the rules for "devotion" (or devotion-like
> dedication such as ordination) too? Does it allow for more than one
> Secret to be learned?

No.

Devotion is not *just* getting cool stuff, it's also doing stuff. Illumination does not allow you to do more than your time allows. It doesn't allow you to use 120% of your time to devote to two different gods (no, not even if they are both the gods of the same sort of thing, like Knowledge. They are not two aspects of one god, they are *two* *different* gods.)

Secrets are so soul-changing that you can never* learn two.

*With some exceptions, but they are specific to their cult/culture, and should not be tasken as templates for allowing multiple secrets.

If you learn a secret, you can never learn another, even if you leave your religion/magical system and join another. If you learn the Secret of Destor, you can't become a Shaman (as gaining a Fetch is a secret). You can't learn the secret of Senthera, or some Wizardly organization.

One to a customer only, offer void in Nevada. You must pay all local and international charges. May cause Bloating, gas or light-headedness. Consult a your doctor if Illumination lasts for more than four lifetimes.

Or, at least, that's what we intended back when we wrote it, under HQ1 rules.

RR