Re: Questions about wyters

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_g3KJeRupX0mdOHZ6VWeyg2SHXJNTSOzPB78MtMNrDi0KAyWJQBr_-849hGMR1BexQ>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:34:23 -0700

YGWV
Some observations concerning further options, etc.

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Gavain Sweetman < gavain.sweetman_at_WoSJx7EYuVT5JYTeB1R6iTaF_r4fMXqxQer_HZNdsF-6GAOzb5aFg3IjTHPlcnRZ_OwvZ96oJyfeOg8PH3-9dZV-SalTBZWW.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I have an interesting situation. A Heortling clan has been taken over by
> the Lunars following a rebellion. The former population of the clan is now
> split into three, Lunar sympathisers still on clan lands, Lunar slaves also
> on clan lands and escaped rebels hiding in the mountains.
>
> The members of the clan who fled before the Lunar takeover would like to
> reclaim their wyter from the Lunars. The have reasoned that the
> sympathisers would be more interested in Lunar wyters,

This would depend, of course, on whether the wyter is in some manner aligned with Orlanth, or some other entity inherently hostile to the Lunars. If it was an Ernalda entity, a ater entity, etc; then it may be just as content and useful to Lunars as to Orlanthi.

the slaves will have little freedom to worship and that therefore they are
> the only true clan members remaining to worship their old wyter.

If the Lunars ae not idiots, they will do their best to prohibit this worship.

> My question is this. Is it possible to remove the wyter from the original
> clan lands and transfer it to new tribal lands?

As Jeff said, it depends on whether it is mobile or not.

Stealing the object the wyter is in isn't a problem, that's just raiding.
> Changing the territory that the wyter is linked to? I presume that this will
> be a heroquest.

Many wyters are linked to the people, nto a place. It may also be linked to a thing, an animal, etc. So, what is it?

> If this group want to join another clan, because there are too few of them
> to have a viable existence. Can they do so and still keep their wyter?

Possibly. It really depends on the entity that is the wyter. It could "become" a bloodline wyter, a her band wyter, etc.

> Again presumably only as a subservient wyter to the main clan wyter.

Are there rules or other indicators for "subservient wyters"? The wyter of a war band, for instance, is not necessarily subservient to the clan wyter. It serves who it serves, and though there is the possibility that it has a previous spiritual history with the clan wyter (father and son, for instance, while they were alive) there is not necessarily a command structure type of relationship.

> Could in these circumstances, a "marriage" between the wyters be arranged?

To what end?

> Would there be any circumstances where offspring could arise from the two
> wyters?

Not in normal circumstances. Spiritual entities do not reproduce any more. That stopped after the Great Compromise. Of course, in a game...

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer