Re: Early, or Late Event?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_1zYz-gzhKI5FyoM4VJHOWOJlk9LmpobuQBaI_mS4TyjZUBwwSYvJ1xjMh0TKhByqH>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:51:52 -0700

YGWV On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_cwk5fi3SIjGASRqHMB5yx4WYJJa72Jk6uKtfquDrr1NPQ_LQNGuJ4N9L8H4OMHeVPUSHsHP7ZBjPS5E_PA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Terra asks:
>
> > 1) In other words, it might mean that Cultures not influenced "by Unity
> > Council", (like Malkioni Culture and Kralori Culture, even Dara Happan
> > Culture rejecting Unity Council Influence.) might still think that there
> was
> > "Time" before 0 ST, if I literally interpret the sentence, "there is no
> > 'Time' before the 'Cosmic Compromise' at least in Heortling 'Unity
> Council'
> > Mythology."
>
> I don't think there is an answer to this in the canon. In My Glorantha,
> there was in fact no time before the Dawn, but there was causation, which
> leads some cultures to believe that there was time before the dawn. It is
> certainly canon that some cultures believes that there was time before the
> Dawn.

And WITHIN various cultures difference exist as to what KIND of time might have existed, or when it began.

Chris:
> > >What time does is that it allows us to relate events that are not
> connected
> > >by cause an effect.
> > > For example, I can relate events in Kralorela with events in Jrustela
> in
> > > the second age because they occur at the same time.
> > > But I can't usually relate events that occurred in Prax before time
> with
> > > events in Dara Happa that occurred before time.
>
> > I see, but how the distance of two cultures (Comparing DH and Prax might
> not
> > be good example, not in geographical, but in mental) influences to the
> events?
>
> In My Glorantha, time allows you to relate events that are not connected
> directly by causation. Take this example: If I am playing with marbles
> (sadly, I lost all mine), and I shot one marble that hits two, each of which
> hits another two, I can trace the causation of the last four moving back to
> the one that I shot. But, without time, I can't say which one moved last.
>
> Likewise, in Glorantha before time, I can say that Orlanth killed the sun,
> and that had a bunch of consequences (for example, Trolls coming to the
> surface and the grass turning brown),

Some would argue that these are not effects of the death of Yelm. They are separate, and the fact hat they occurred in the sequence has, in Time, MADE them have a relationship that many people recognize as cause and effect.

> but it is meaningless to try to compare events that occur down those
> different paths. Which came first, the trolls rising or the grass turning?
> Neither.
>
> > 3) Perception is subjective, and progression of lights of Sky might not
> be
> > important for non-star seers.
>
> I agree that HeroQuesters' perception of the events in which they
> participate is heavily influenced by their assumptions, but they can't
> simply make something up and see it on the Hero Plane.

Absolutely correct. (Though such a thing could occur in the "dream plane." But they are not real).

Cultures outside of Dara Happa might have no idea of what the true reasons
> were for a celestial event. They might ignore it or make up their own
> reasons. Their own reasons might have a grain of truth that allows intrepid
> HeroQuesters to discover a greater truth. When Praxians enter the sky, they
> see little that is familiar because most of their stories about the sky are
> just stories, not myths. It is really disorienting for them. "What? Bronze
> Treasure isn't Waha's home in the sky? Who is this Shargash guy?"

Yes, nicely said.

 --
Greg Stafford
Game Designer