Re: An Observation About Yinkin

From: donald_at_68loFG_pBroPdhkMMtuMO9iZlfEZkGbxuqGatWrtiemo-3MekySl_vMZ3mwGqYG4Sk0m0
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:32:17 GMT

In message <790847.71119.qm_at_15wKUy-jjYXG7y-1IQBfzwSLksRUI4oTkz034EPp3QQfuBeXLr5DHyFyVMyasfkyY4VlrcgBVy0qxKi8QwNRfU7IIwNljLV2QLvXm3QEacTcJvg.yahoo.invalid> Gavain Sweetman writes:
>> Stephen Tempest e-g_at_b0dDglGe6jjsOLNJQ8_jrJpGJ4IQKgxKWCRPwF-Z7jRz5IHT71d4pnanGwNwN4GbRH2yPAr3vAduLQBrnbZ4ee4A1w.yahoo.invalid

>> Equally importantly for this purpose: are Yinkini allowed to sleep
>> with members of their own clan (outside their immediate bloodline,
>> presumably) or is this considered incest? Having to travel several
>> days through the mountains to reach the nearest legitimate potential
>> sexual partners would cramp the style of any Yinkin devotee...
>
>Not necessarily, Yinkini are hunters too so that means that they
>have lots of reasons to be away from the homestead and visiting
>others. Either from their own clan or neighbouring ones.
>
>Ever seen the documentaries following domestic cats when they are
>out of the house? Many have ranges of several miles and are still
>back home for breakfast :-))

>They also have their favourite haunts, the old lady at the end of
>the road who gives them fish, etc.
>
>I see the possibility of Yinkini having the same "hunting" rounds
>that include their favourite partners as well as the good spots to
>gather food for the clan.

The difficulty with that is a clan member hunting on a neighbouring clan's tula. Unless there's some agreement to do so you're likely to provoke a feud.

The assumption that clan tulas are always widely separated is wrong. Particularly in areas of better farmland, such as river valleys, adjacent clans will be a few miles apart. In some cases I understand the tulas actually overlap.

It's the same for women. They don't cut off all links with their birth clans. They'll visit their mothers on a regular basis which is why marriages tend to happen between neighbouring clans.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/