Re: "Why do we sleep?" stories and myths

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_GK2ZzohPE79CgGODLMb_i_XMk1KlIu-OrasLl65YPuIR--KxG_e4yTe2Y7G>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:39:22 -0500

Namaste.

That's an interesting area to explore.
In Glorantha, I suspect sleep is tied into the Rune of Darkness, so perhaps that could provide a mythological starting point.

In the East Isles and other cultures that value Dreaming, I suspect sleep is seen more of a good thing that is necessary for the maintenance of the Universe. In Yelmic societies, I could see it being a great curse placed on mankind for going against the gods. (With dreams being the sweetness added to make it more palatable.)

-S. Santo Sengupta
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."