Re: Lunar sorcery and Lunar nodes

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_w7jqETF9ib2YQcTVOA4iTO4QdLoqktnwkscdU0VmhO33-NXagPCmU3w8e5IcL_82E>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:13:25 -0800

YGWV On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM, John Machin <orichalka_at_jFJgoI1sQIxizT-VtUvTxfBcXm1milHZ0aYnjWR6Oums9El9lQztxRZ7Cuvr3AL-a-NXHkL5d2ltKSA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> 1. Does all Lunar sorcery (including formularies provided by the
> denominations of immortals with 'mixed magical systems') connect to a node
> of some sort on the Moon?

No. Most, yes. Almost all, yes.

> 2. Do all of the 'Moon nodes' connect to the Essence Planes (in the same
> way
> that Jakaleel has a 'backdoor' to the Spirit World)?

No, actually. It's very very rare (at this stage).

> 3. If a sorcerer learns a grimoire from a Lunar sorcery school is that
> "misapplied worship"?

Yes.

> 4. Can a sorcerer who is concentrated on the Essence Planes learn and make
> use of Lunar sorcery?

I say no. Mostly not. Almost never. :-)

> I notice that some of the sorcery school denominations in ILH2:UtRM specify
> that they have connections to nodes on the Moon and to nodes on the Essence
> Planes (usually the Saint Plane). I had wondered if some of the other
> sorcery school denominations (Spindle Hag, Eyzaal, etc) also had these
> connections. It occurred to me that this sort of connection might have been
> too obvious to specify in each entry.

No, the opposite. It is so rare that it's mentioned when it occurs.

I ask this because I am curious about the Sapphire Ring's ability to pinch
> the grimoires of Lunar sorcerers. I'd like them to be able to be bribed by
> (or to be motivated to theft from) people with access to unusual Lunar
> sorcery but I'm just not sure if they are wired the right way.

YGWV! Just to comment on this--
someone said here a bit ago how the Lunar are not really an Element, and maybe they are not really a Power, etc.

Truth is, the Moon is still mutating itself to be what it is going to be. A lot of people feel it is infiltrating the world,..

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer