Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_MYyRxYmEuE-q9h_8CBrlPSPwMsMsWS27aijwGZpt1cc2aEOoksK1ZILfk18f5iWAlah>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:55:10 +1300

Chris Lemens wrote:

> And, to extract justice, the authorities could force the flame to go
> into someone of lower caste or whatever. Surely part of a severe
> punishment is that you get demoted in caste (or worse).

In my opinion, caste is a property of the life flame so demoting someone to a lower caste doesn't work. What they could do is pollute the flame so that one will have do penance as a Solfite (drink all the time, take opium etc) in order to purge the pollution. And if that fails they could quench the flame through the Furalor rites.

> What happens to people who die alone in the wilderness, or at sea, or
> in some calamity that wipes out an entire clan, so that their flame
> cannot be transferred?

I think the flames can be summoned by one who has a connection, using some rites from Furalor). Of course if a whole clan is wiped out (by say the Seleran Empire), nobody would have a connection. In that case, I suspect a Zitr might from time to time call forth lost flames to be reincarnated so that the lost clans might be restored. This would be a good means of conversion for foreigners and even some inhumans (like say Wind children and Jungle Trolls).

--Peter Metcalfe