Re: How do malkioni count ?

From: hcarteau_at_zaiAVPdmwoD13idhHNNGetyG3Z77nIuVAT3cnDyPnXjWAhNY9SguAX_UfO6qM4KnkMF
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:25:16 +0200

Selon bryan_thx <bethexton_at_OVpDDVstHBucFG8iyMVHxFvvV32sQ0raDWv6ubkw3t84FUfQ9_TEm6fRr9fxs1P9N2y7ckvsCQJbSv1ggQ.yahoo.invalid>:

> I have never seen this defined, but I'm not all that deep into the more
> rarified sources so maybe there is something out there somewhere.
/// I'm not into rarified stuff either, but interesting details than stimulate the players' perceptions while showing the oddities of Glorantha. In this sense, your idea of mixing the numerical system and accounting with religion does seem very good !

Makes me wonder if the "Tally" knowledge used by Issaries cultists wasn't in fact lifted from the GLs, as Tradetalk itself was, according to some...

> Purely from a fun perspective, I'd suggest that western nations traditionally
> used something unwieldy like roman numerals, but the god learners somewhere
> found* something more like arabic numerals (I'd say base 12, because I think
> it is the most handy base to use because of all the factors of 12, and I
> think somewhere they found the best possible system).
>
> In the rejection of all things god-learnerish official church use is all of
> the old system, but something as handy as that numbering system would be hard
> to wipe out totally.

/// I love the idea of prudish shopkeepers singing curses on the GL during Mass and using their own, double-column accounting system at night behind closed shutters. Doubtless this qualifies as a sin for the rokari church, but not for the Church of Ashara - or does it ?

> * Possibly they actually made a hybrid system, such as they picked up the
> concept of zero and column notation from Mostali binary code, but picked up
> base 12 from Issaries knuckle-counting, and came up with a notation pulling
> them together.
>
> All just random speculation on my part.
/// Random speculation is perfectly fine with me ; it's the Wellspring of all Stories.