Re: Insight Contests in the third age ?

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_i9TCsg9QREQI4osNEBFE4ZJgFWDl1Lf-ZEX_3O-ILkPFPNBH4Ziejs_3uU2Mex73N>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:56:04 -0700

YGWV On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:03 AM, <hcarteau_at_3IJtuwjrXHzfACGzv8FHORePu6UCyCHPJ73I2eih5W5yie45LsXqnb_tI-fil8oYRihlA6fm.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> We know the Jrusteli cities, churches and sorcery schools settled their
> differences by Insight Contests, where the most learned and wisest of their
> members would debate among them until Logic proved who was right, and the
> matter
> was settled bloodlessly and reasonably.

Correct. A contest between people using the same terms, the same intellectual and magical "weapons"

> I'd like to re-introduce this custom to allow my players, representing the
> Church of Ashara, to solve their issues with the rokari watcher of Fay Jee
> without resorting to classical violence and anti-rokari pogroms. I have
> several
> role-playing ideas which could make this fun, allowing each player his /
> her
> turn in the spotlight.
>
> Now for your opinion. To third age malkioni, are Insight Contests a
> dreadful
> godlearner trick, to be shunned, or is it still acceptable ?

While some claim it is a god learner trick and shun and condemn it, many other people accept it )albeint in other terms, other names and so on). The Lunars engage in in a large scale, formally, with each other and with enemy opponents.
*
Finalization *is a quite interesting rarification of a heroquest that comes into play late in the Hero Wars.
late I say
In it the "chief debaters" of different cults and cultures can contest pretty much for their very souls, and for those that back them up. The western method similar to the Veneration Chain channels the supporting contestants to the speakers
The losers essentially have their minds wiped clean of the "beliefs" that they were proposing/supporting, and a severing of their *sorbs* from their usual spiritual attachments. (they can, and usually do, latch onto the victorious system. If not, they are lost sols)

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer