Re: Subcult of Yinkin the Chief (or Yinkin the king)

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_Q-HpRRlYnn_f8TXUNSuc6Fl79w0M66Mh-NWvzBpZju9tCW6AiAFYkv7HV01Yan5Gyo37u>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:04:08 -0000

That takes a lot of time and effort and commitment to a certain type of behavior. In most cases, that tends to conflict with the ordinary problems led by ordinary people. Toss in another commitment to a different divinity? Very difficult, if not impossible unless they are somehow compatible. Add in the trials and burdens of being chief? And all the decisions that you must make - often ones contrary to the behavior the devotee is supposed to emulate?

Just think of how some of the practical and pragmatic decisions required by a chief might cause for a Yinkini? (What do you mean "I'm NOT supposed to seduce the other chieftain's daughter? It's a peace conference..."). Or, the problems such a chief might cause for his unfortunate clan if he always followed the god's dictates (as he ought to be doing if he's truly devote). (War! Humakt demands it!)

> To me at least, it seems unremarkable that part of this process of proving oneself in the eyes of the community  should involve becoming (and staying) devoted to an aspect of a god-- possibly even if the god to whom the person is devoted isn't the same god as the  god of the leadership cult, (as long as they are in the same pantheon, like e.g. the Odaylan who becomes chief of an Orlanthi clan)
>
> Richard Hayes

Like everything else, it depends.

Jeff