What was the Iron Vrok ?

From: hcarteau_at_r8e5UBP3qCKYqvSc-0xTcGNCqYz_bRV3CrMgu7su0NOnD6rSAU1gyDKGcXU57flbbZH
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:25:57 +0200

> I'm none too worried about the different names. Given that the
> underwater city is called Herilial by people who lived in Herolal city
> or in the kingdom of Herlalia, that the people of Kaxtorplose know it by
> a different name isn't that much of a stretch.
/// OK...

> Kaxtor is actually described as a spirit hero in the Genertela Book,
> indicating to me that he was a pre-existing hero, probably Silver Age,
> who defended his city in its time of need.
/// So he might have been the community/city Guardian, giving it its own name. And this would have been confused in later translation with a living hero. That's also cool.

> Palangio is Illuminated. If the text says he dived, then he dove.
/// Interesting. I'd have said the reverse : since he's illuminated, the text may have many meanings : he could have "dived into" new Knowledge, for instance, without getting one toe wet.

What you should be asking is why did he dive to Erenplose and what did he
> bring back if the Iron Vrok was retrieved from the Mountains.
/// Agreed, that's the interesting question. Since he dove before getting the Iron Vrok back, he learned something down there. Perhaps it was wat Iridwin already knew. Perhaps the Erenplose people are one-shot ponies : if you meet them they tell you XXX and you get Real Bad powers. That still doesn't tell us who they are !

> For what its worth the RuneQuest companion describes Palangio as having
> ruled with Dwarf Magic so going up into the mountains to get the Vrok is
> really code for having it made by dwarves.
/// I wonder how you can remind so many bits of trivia... This info is only a few words long !
So the Vrok might have been given or sold to him, or he could have stolen it from the dwarves. Back at the time, was Isilian still a member of Nysalor's coterie ? What about the other "name" mostali (Martaler, Iron Skull Fanak, Angarko Diamond Brain, etc) ? One of them could have equipped P. with this wondrous device, but for which reason ?

> As things stand, it seems that Palangio must have been seeking a spiritual
revelation of sorts and seeking the mysteries of Worcha fits in well with that, I think.
/// It fits with an illuminated solar type seeking another way of seeing the Universe, but what doesn't seem to fit is the Mostal / Worcha connection then.

And to think this thread started when I supputated the Iron Vrok was in fact the Roost of Tholm of yelmite emperors... How far have we gone from there !