Re: Alakorings, Heortlings and the others

From: Jeff <richaje_at_SquuHwebAeAgHqv0EmP0HG_ZRj0qBZD9zPMQ8fO2DRZdVDwtubsYtxPUahgpInm59QCn>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 04:20:32 -0000

> > 1. They speak different Theyalan languages. The Heortlings
> > (basically Hendrikings of Heortland and Sartar) speak
> > southern Theyalan dialects (similar to Esrolian). The
> > Alakoringites speak Northern Theyalan dialects with many
> > borrowing from Dara Happan, Talastaring, Carmanian, New
> > Pelorian and so on.
>
> This is, I think, the first time I've seen mentioning them having different languages. How similar are those? I know I once read about the Theyalan languages, but I don't think anyone then made any comparisons to real world languages, which made it harder for me to form a picture of them.

Remember, all folk south of Dragon Pass were cut off from communication with those north of Dragon Pass for two hundred years; more than enough time for that language to diverge into two. Especially given the amount of influences on the northern group from other languages. I think you'd have to look at the East Polynesian languages to find some similar linguistic diversification.

That being said, a Heortling from Sartar can communicate by speech with a Alakoringite from Aggar. And they use the same writing system.

All of this is in the appendix to Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes.

> > 2. For over two hundred years the Heortlings had no
> > significant non-Theyalan human influences. The Alakoringites
> > of Peloria have seven hundred years of significant Dara
> > Happa, Carmanian and Lunar influences.
> They do? Hmm. Interesting. I guess this reflect their society's structure. While I've seen it mentioned that Alakorings with Orlanth Rex empower their kings over their priests I don't think I've heard how that is reflected in the governance of the tribes. They have a tribal ring with all the Lightbringers, I guess. But, doesn't the Heortling ring as well? I know I have read this! I have way to much gloranthan material, and it was way to long since I read most of it.

They are governed pretty much the same. Heortlings have adopted the Rex tribal rituals as well as the Alakorings. The contact with the lowlanders has had bigger impact on material culture, and far less on religion, law, or custom.

> > As for personal appearance, both are tattooed (using many
> > of the same symbols), but Alakoringite fashion is more
> > likely to be influenced by the Oslir valley lowlanders.
> And spiked hair in Ralios, right? :)

Nope. Ralian Orlanthi are not British Celts. I am unaware of any Orlanthi group that spikes their hair with lime.

Jeff