Chariots and Canon

From: Jeff <richaje_at_pvVFwuZ5S22h8LDrWAbK7rVsZGYBp23cSRCctN7Mpp1Bz3UvTCr0oACb9Grfbf4NR-PA>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:49:55 -0000

> I hope that the Issaries and Mongoose sources aren't going to be too divergent.

I hope nobody at Mongoose takes this too badly, but their Ralios pdf falls into the YGWV for Moon Design writers. To begin with it has some pretty big canonical problems - frex it missed Alakoring entirely (and given that by 880 Alakoring was already the most famous Orlanthi hero in Ralios since Harmast that is a pretty huge oversight).

For what it is worth, IMO canon is relevant only for our development team's efforts to bring you Greg Stafford's Glorantha. Questions of canon should not impact your campaign and you should feel free to use whatever you want (including time traveling space ninjas if you want). After all, YGWV.

However, because people have asked before, here's Moon Design's guide to what is canonical for publication purposes:

  1. Moon Design created publications (Sartar, Sartar Companion, Pavis, Guide to Glorantha, etc) are canonical for Moon Design. If we decide to change or contradict a detail in them, we need a good reason; and
  2. Stafford Library background material (including King of Sartar, GRoY, FS, Entekosiad, MSE, HHP, and HM - but NOT including Arcane Lore) are also canonical for Moon Design. If we decide to change or contradict a detail in them, we chat with Greg about it before it gets in print. Of all these, King of Sartar is the most important. That's not to say that the information presented in those books are objectively correct or even entirely accurate, but the errors within them are almost always deliberate.
  3. Plus a few other documents we might direct a writer to rely upon.

Most of what is left is persuasive but not binding. But if you submit a text for publication contradicting Sartar or the History of the Heortling Peoples, or some other core document, odds are that contradiction will get changed in the editorial process.

Jeff