Re: Hrestol's knighthood initiation

From: Scott Mayne <romulan_ace_at_XT2UCWJ-9lZC_zwIL-_hHtk-izV4rLCWrfH7MS77Zx6S9oLZYypmbJRUFDymQVMI>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:52:17 -0400

Julian:
>I'm not really a Western expert, but as far as I know the Orders of Knights are intrinsically powerful, and do not _need_ (although they usually _desire_) support
>from priests/wizards. Greg has in the past described these Orders as distinct pathways towards God, not really requiring submission to the local Church authorities
>nor doctrines -- although this is of course often required politically.

>My own take on this is that a Knight's relationship with whichever Grimoire or other formal source of magic will tend to be transmitted as an oral rather than a literary
>tradition, although more scholarly Knights, chivalric bookworms, and well-read elders of the Order are certainly all possible too...

>What I understand is that each Order of Knights has its own methods and traditions and magics ; even though these can be formalised fairly easily into simple rules terms,
>due to their overall flexibility.

>Bottom line though, the real reason why Knights were and are so powerful is that they are their own source of power ; although I'm sure that analysis of the History and
>the religious aspects will also be illuminating as to the relative impact of that power in the Malkioni societies :)

Hi Julian, this is great stuff thanks. This brings up interesting points, like when did knights divide into Orders, and was there a "Grimoire of Knighthood" at the beginning. I'm not sure about the Orders, but the Grimoire makes perfect sense. Knights would need new spells to play to their strengths and duties (Augment Lance Damage, Stay in Saddle, Know Malkion's Judgement, etc.) and this might be part of the "new approach to sorcery" mentioned in the sources.