Re: There is only one God, et al

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_fXOw8JwsK8Hww2QAh8MS1su2vcC8QTJGfiLJEfOTh1Ra2gxt7JcDsw_VhfYIr5TspZ_>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:40:20 -0500

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:33 PM, David Cake <dave_at_QKZox_GPP2SWOCp7aGwnI84GCLFkVxketU3Hb8KuezFq_e6fICxQTOSDQSL3ok7c03aNIQsSKughABZGIA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> <snip>
> Speaking of sorcerous migrations, I'd also be interested to
> work out if the sorcerous people of Yargan in Pelandan myth are
> identifiable in Western myth.

Yargan's people and the Logicians are not the same. Yargan gave "refuge" to Logicians from the Kingdom of logic. The two main groups of westerners that might have needed refuge at that time were the Kachasti, who were in Genertela already but split by the Neleomi Sea, and the Tadeniti, who were separated from Damnalastan by sea and threatened by the Mostali. They were also in the general area of the Artmali, who would probably have had an intense dislike for the Vadeli and inclined to help anyone who was opposed to them. This is important for reasons outlined below. Heretics of the Enrovalini or other western peoples might have sought refuge in Genertela. Even Viymorni who opposed the rise of Videl might be possible, since the early flood age map in RM shows both a Viymorni area on the southern coast of Danmalastan separated by seas and Mostali from the Vadeli area on the western coast of Pamaltela.

The magic of the Logicians allowed them to "make things change shape so they could not return to their original figure, or become stupid, or darker, or more warm." The diversity of magic points to Enrovalini, but I could also see Kadeniti (the builders) which also fits the description of the Logicians living in cities. At a stretch I could also see the Viymorni, who were curious explorers and may have picked up many different magics along the way.

For Yargan's folk I would look at the myth of Jarkaru, the Indigo Conqueror in Revealed Mythologies. Jarkaru was the great war leader of the Artmali. "Jarkaru and the Aquamarine Armada sailed across the world, settling colonies and forts wherever they wanted. They brought treasure and plunder back from all over the world."

-Kevin McD