Veneration, part 2

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_X0piyRZswZPCETzp0DQKvD7tPDEAyW4G_MEtN23y2jxNtLlLMI1-7fRa2K_FfoyCH>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:19:19 -0800

YGWV I restart this thread in the hopes of restarting thinking on this subject. The previous discussion can be read and digested, but it is polluted with too much arcane thinking and not enough imagination. And not enough Glorantha

>Olli asks
>
>We also know that sorcery is something you know. I can grok how the
>sorcery that the sorcerers use works, but saints, veneration and
>blessings are beyond me. I get how you can decode scripture to learn
>wizardly magic,

aka Esoterica

> but how is worshiping a saint something you know?

Most of the most recent discussion is confining "know" to conscious knowledge, but that's critical to estoerica, it is not to the exoterica of public worship.

> How
>are the blessings something you know as opposed to something you are
>or have?

Malkioni perspective
Are = your Sacredness soul wrongly worships the Eranschula, with sacrifice Have = your Sacredness soul worships the Material World, with possession Know = your Sacredness soul worships [Highest Spiritual], with being

An Incarnate Sacredness [crudely, "saint" in its earliest sense] is like that stained glass window.
We are gathered here inside the Body of [Highest spiritual] The walls are made of The World, like us. Look around on these walls, at the paintings and strange symbols--those are not the message!
Those are on the inside of the wall, to protect us, and remind us of *this * world.
Now look at the window--your favorite one, it does not matter That light coming through attracts us--it is like the power of [Highest Spiritual] coming through to us
Sit in the warmth of that light, sit in its bright light without shadow Remember Incarnate Sacredness
You know where the blessing is in your life We are not selfish like wizards
We are not greedy like Lords
We are good people
In the goodness of your life, where the life of Incarnate Sacredness touches yours
You know that is the touch of [Highest Sacredness]

You see through it, beyond.

Not enough Glorantha?
*Language, *my friends
*Perspective

*I have one suggestion concerning the vocabulary of this discussion: *chuck it all*
Throw out sophism, gnosticism, catharism and all the rest.

All of these ideas have been presented in Gloranthan form already, in my histor(ies) of the Western religions that are in 3005, 3006 and 3008 *in Gloranthan form and content

*I invite you to look at the recent spate of wonderful and entertaining explanations of aging.
Save us lectures on DNA and Lamarack
tell me about chaos, the science of nonrevolutionary descendism or the animal-fucking neighbors who cause it

As for what form of KNOWING dominates within various philosophies, and their relationships with each other, I invite you to the inside world of writing from or about Brithini versus Later wizardry, the pollutions or liberations of knowing First Cause personally, Makanism versus Rokarism

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer