Re: SOLACE and SOLACE OF THE BODY : what are they ?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_P5ArmNqCaVRdyMc1OeZwc14_ge4BpBOvLmbRX5IVzP3wTdwRQQ24QBLOawoEqqCXBfH>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:46:03 +0000

hcarteau_at_kAE5lyH-u89NXEgisPsYDDW-N0OnQpP7msM70mbMxzPgJX9wuvzoGJ5kWmKitXC06Inoyfa_UojVONg.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> In researching for my world-shaking thesis on malkioni issues, I have
> stumbled
> on the concept of Solace. Malkion the Prophet taught about Solace, and
> this
> concept isn't very clear to me. It could be :
> - keeping a distinct personnality in the Afterlife, in bliss with Malkion
> - dissolving your personnality in the Bliss of God

I suspect both of these are correct. Depending on sect, of course.

> - trumping death in other, more esoteric ways

Not convinced by this one, although it might be a minority view somewhere, because almost everything is.

> Then there is Solace OF THE BODY. These words were added after
> Hrestol's Death,
> when he is said to have "bodily ascended" to Solace, before witnesses.
> Even
> Malkion Himself hadn't done that - He had dissolved. To me, Solace of
> the Body
> is a super-rare event that happened only to Hrestol or Rokar (depends
> whom you
> ask), and maybe a few other Saints.

It's a pretty rare event, although I am fairly sure that Hrestol and Rokar aren't the only ones to have achieved it. It's a bit like the theist "attaining the Great Secret of your god" from HQ1, although for Malkioni it generally seems to happen at the point you would have died anyway. Extraordinary rare, anyway.

> Oh yes : what is the exact meaning of solace in the english language ? I
> understand it means something like "refuge" or "comfort". Doesn't
> sound like
> much if it's the case...

The Concise OED defines 'solace' as "comfort or consolation in times of distress." Clearly, for the Malkioni, its being used in a more figurative and significant sense than it is in plain English, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/