Re: SOLACE and SOLACE OF THE BODY : what are they ?

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_C075fjpdabff2F8jAM3I_0ubu97LH7Tzq8o3GHOT_AsNfpe85mnmaV9WhlbHj3aO>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:17:50 -0000

hcarteau :

> For starters, Solace of the Body is found in the Genertela boxed set as being
> taught by Malkion whereas Hrestol redefined it to be Joy of the Heart (acting on
> instructions from Malkion).
> /// So for your Joy of the Heart IS Solace of the Body, they're synonymous. And
> Malkion himself did preach Joy ?

Peter is, I believe, pointing out that that is one theological interpretation, among many existing in the West. I'm sure he will correct me if this is a mistaken impression. :)

The same philosophical objection about Solace being the natural state of the Brithini would apply in different ways to Joy -- in that Joy is transient, whereas Solace is described as enduring.

There are also some theological, philosophical, and magical differences between the understandings of the various sects concerning the dichotomy of Body and Essence - the extreme positions being that physical bodies are just a certain kind of mixed essences, or that essence is just a subtle form of physical matter. Precise sectarian doctrines on the nature of Solace and acceptance or not of Joy into those doctrines would depend among other things on the exact position within that philosophical dichotomy.

In any case attaining Joy and/or Solace is a practise of some sort of magical purification or similar -- but *what* exactly is it that needs to be purified and *what* needs discarding ? Or alternatively, is it a Wholeness of Essence and Body that provide them ? Or a Balance ? Or is it a simple Gift of Faith ?

Julian Lord