Re: Elephant Wars: Mammoths and Mastodons

From: Keith <keith.nellist_at_Z9gUb5Lk4x40WQlAOxwgVB_ShJvuw-m6r2jwDzMhpfRqg039kK8OUXjl28q3C9>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:16:05 -0000

That is all well and good, but I just feel there is an interesting story linking Mammoths, Mountain Mammoths (be they invisible spirit animals or invisible snuffleupaguses, Mastodons, Vadrus, Valind, The Castle of Wild Storms, the Goddess of the Land Beneath the Mountain,Grotarons and the Slave goddess who was the mother of Valind. Oh, and Genert, and the Hogari mammoth (or mastodon people).

My theory is that the Maidstone Mountains are the ruins of some sort of Winter Castle built Vasdrus and Valind by flinging huge rocks on top of some land (an earth goddess). They are more literally "Made of Stones" or "Maid under Stones". The Grotarons were some sort of servant species- a three armed Jeeves to the Vadrudi Wooster. The castle falls into ruins, but the Grotarons stay on in their residence. Now, the Mountain Mammoth is obviously related to but different from the normal Mammoth (created by Valind). I see the Mountain mammoth as some sort of favourite house-pet around the castle, or perhaps a few mammoths acting like a pack of hounds. Although they belong to Vadrus or Valind, they are actually cared for by the Grotaron servants. How they became invisible spirits is part of the story which I suspect involves hiding them from an angry storm god to save them from being chucked in a bag and drowned in a river.

I feel there is some element of betrayal of the Storm Gods by the Mountain Mammoths, but perhaps not by the normal Mammoths. The Mastodons may not care and I've not fitted them into my theory yet. The fact that Mastodons/Genert are Animist beings, while Mammoths/Valind are Theist, makes me suspect that the Mountain Mammoth switched sides at some point, joining the Spirit team.

Keith

Keith