Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ZA1VjoW6-cOjxTU5Ek7ImQoX9oYKLNzq1zzleZh_YI2832lzlzRgrtzcaOLJPu4O1Cz>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:33:08 +1300

On 2/8/2011 3:57 AM, Kevin McDonald wrote:
> Well, perhaps since caste was created by Malkion fairly early on the
> laws of caste are fundamentally "hard coded" into the Laws of the
> Universe - and thus wizardry. It would take creative reinterpretation
> (Hrestol?) to even bend those laws.

I don't think Malkion invented the castes. He created positions of responsibility on an ad hoc basis but it was others (ie Zzabur and his brothers) who derived a systemic model of society from his actions.

Secondly hard-coded laws of society that don't have any effect other than make a wizard respect caste? I think that if there is a reason for the wizards in obey caste then it should be a beneficial (or negative) magical force that they are aware of and find it easier to work with rather than against. Otherwise caste law smacks of the artificial class restrictions of D&D.

--Peter Metcalfe