Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_kyhYuZ58JYgx6ms66mD2RAavHjZkVUDD8yOhnuiABVPUxbZUEE-mJUIC9MbxGOWcWro>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:19:28 +1300

On 2/8/2011 2:16 AM, donald_at_xTzuV5AsOKigBwZUmf-Hi6UGA-NP4ACau4EQ8A_fRZNF2HKUICSSpCfVPlgqAvmWQWNaF3HhvuTF0CC3UDY.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> The orders police the spells that get that support and if a wizard tries to break
> caste they are likely to get caught and expelled or executed for sorcery.
The orders and the Malkioni society prohibit lots of things - that doesn't prevent people from doing them. Likewise your model of the Malkioni relies heavily on the Rokari. What about the Loskalmi and the Safelstrans? Why should they still obey caste?

> My impression is that not many wizards invent spells, most learn from the approved grimoire of their order.
I don't think the Malkioni Wizards, the best and brightest of Malkioni society, are all mostali-like uncreative plodders. Wouldn't they have some independent research on their spare time, such stuff like alchemy, necromancy, gambling with demons or even chatting up the opposite sex.

> The other thing community support can give you is the ability to bless an entire
> congregation. You may give yourself +5 for your magic sword but that isn't going to help much when the opposing wizard has given each of his 20 knights +2.
Except that Community Support isn't dependent on orthodoxy but the willingness of your community to support you. The priests of Orlanthland had community support every step of the way that their country was being warped into the EWF. Pilif had community support from a lot of people when he tried to become King of Seshnela.

--Peter Metcalfe