Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_KdokVJOwMHREnYT_NS0pSBJ5lMxqmd5b8GHZMto_d7CFp0Zr6GYizKWvfkma0s7rFzh>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:36:07 +1300

On 2/11/2011 9:21 AM, donald_at_icBFDeXQqq2SS7Xmarp8ESRhSwgPbOdGcHWvsBRowyPV6_S3cgB6A5TT7l0OLVzU7wJ0-kxKiGjO9nsWuHsn.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> If the [Loskalmi or Safelstrans] aren't policing caste then the system
> will break down. The rules may be less strict or less vigerously
> enforced but some policing will be done.

But why do the Loskalmi or Safelstrans see it in their interests to police caste? That the caste system will break down if they don't? That doesn't seem to me to be a bad thing theologically.

> The best educated Malkioi, not necessarily the brightest as a rigid
> caste system tends to produce a pretty average group intelligence
> wise. Certainly they aren't all plodders but more will be debating
> obscure differences in existing grimoires than doing real experimental
> work. I also see most being involved in routine casting of known
> spells, teaching and administration.

Except that only the Rokari and the Brithini have a rigid caste system and being average intelligence group wise is no guarantee that they will respect the established social order. The soldiers are even less educated than the wizards yet their history is filled with coups, mutinies and other insubordinate behavior.

> True, but people generally support someone when they are doing what is
> expected.

I seriously doubt the average peasant has much understanding about what caste law is and the suggestion that community support is contingent on correct social behavior seems to me a rather artificial restriction.

--Peter Metcalfe