Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: David Cake <dave_at_y1y5sKnh883cG-helGY52MxcDHyn9BJ2qzwe5rj85FFgom5kSGWKXe_oKfGHvdZyw_A9Cqk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:58:58 +0800

At 3:48 PM +0000 16/2/11, Richard Hayes wrote:
>Agree, but in cultures which permitted caste mobility (so not the
>Brithini), maybe a ship's captain might be Horali -- especially in
>lands where sea travel was important, (or where the captain needed
>to outrank any soldiers there were on board?)

        I like the idea that some sects treat the tricky issue of boat captains by assuming that any boat captain is treated as having become waertagi. To the bafflement of any actual Waertagi, I presume.

        From what I can tell, the Malkioni/Brithini have generally have rules that allow for dealing with the Waertagi as peaceful allies (not that they always do so, especially in the Second Age). And the Waertagi seem to have always had caste mobility. So, I'm sure some bright scholar of caste law has come up with bright idea of saying the rules for dealing with Waertagi Admirals can be applied to anyone who captains a boat.

        (and the caste mobility among the Waertagi is just one of the ways in which Zzaburs explanation of a unified caste system for all Danmalastan is clearly not the whole truth)

	Cheers
		David