Re: The Importance of Caste (or Why Wizards Don't Rule)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_9NLpRI_qgHGYGiJqHr_j1eq7aVn6H7f6_7mdWgQLVXJI04TnrPe-hvK05MDL8LQyQHOg>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:27:42 -0000

> I like the idea that some sects treat the tricky issue of
> boat captains by assuming that any boat captain is treated as having
> become waertagi. To the bafflement of any actual Waertagi, I presume.

Who are we talking about? The Brithini ride on Waertagi ships and always have - I don't think there are Brithini ships.

The great western navies in the Second Age were most emphatically NOT considered Waertagi. They were pragmatic Hrestoli from Jrustela (at least initially).

FWIW, the Waertagi at the Dawn were organized into five extended families of about 360 to 640 people, each resided on a dragonship. Each family elected a Sivis to serve as shiplord; once brought to command the Sivis could not be removed except by death and his word was law.

Of course the Waertagi dragonships disappeared in the Second Age, so this is all academic.

> From what I can tell, the Malkioni/Brithini have generally
> have rules that allow for dealing with the Waertagi as peaceful
> allies (not that they always do so, especially in the Second Age).
> And the Waertagi seem to have always had caste mobility. So, I'm sure
> some bright scholar of caste law has come up with bright idea of
> saying the rules for dealing with Waertagi Admirals can be applied to
> anyone who captains a boat.

The Waertagi don't have caste. The Brithini have always considered that perfectly ok; the most ancient laws describe the Waertagi as such.

The Hrestoli of Jrustela and Seshnela fought a bitter war against the Waertagi and ultimately defeated them with Tanian's Victory. Then the Closing shut them off from the Sea for nearly six centuries. With the Opening, I doubt they looked to ancient dusty tomes about the long-lost greenmen to organize their ships. They either looked at how Dormal ran his ships or looked to not quite so ancient tomes about the Jrusteli fleets.

Jeff