Re: What do 2nd Age Seshnelans look like?

From: Jeff <richaje_at_Sr7AAL-XPIQQv31onUU7y9BqKpcZ_EG4ez2Je5HmfhTp21HH2uMKGJdjwmlKotUwFwf4>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:03:42 -0000

> So what would the imperial armed forces of the Empire of the Middle Sea look like, especially those that would be operating in and around Safelster and Ralios as a whole?

You'd be surprised! First off, there is no standard "Imperial Army" - the MSE uses local troops, plus troops sent from nearby provinces, plus elite mercenaries from all over the world.

So frex, Seshnela (as one of the two core territories of the Empire) has a significant military tradition of its own, built around aristocratic heavy cavalry (the heirs of the old Hrestoli Men of All) and schools of war sorcery. Lots of permanent mercenary companies (infantry and horse) that serve the dukes and counts of the Empire.

I doubt the heavy cavalry look much like Norman knights. Probably, more like cataphracti, with bronze scale armor on both man and horse, and with elaborate decorations. Remember the MSE is rich rich rich! Those who can have Sechkaul silks under their armor, feathered plumes from Pamaltela, and dwarven iron. Go wild - the Seshnelan lords have access to goods and crafts from all over Glorantha - Kralorela, Teshnos, Pamaltela and the East Islands.

However, in a serious campaign, the Emperor might bolster this with troops from Umathela, wizards from Jrustela, Teshnan war elephants, or Kralorelan swordsmen.

> Would they have a common armour and weapon style?
> Would they favour a particular colour or clothing style?

Yellow is the color of the lords, red is the color of soldiers, blue is the color of wizards, and brown is the color of workers.

> Are the God Learners just old men in flowing robes?

Who says they wear robes at all? Jrustela is semi-tropical. The images I've seen has them wear silk or linen garments around the waist, barechested, but with great hats like golden towers. Most wizards are bearded, but lords often shave their chin and grow impressive mustaches, and some schools shave their heads (but not their beards - although some do that as well).

> What earthly analogues should I look at for inspiration and which should I avoid?

Imagine if early medieval Sri Lanka conquered classical Dacia using Song heavy cavalry. That might get you into the right frame of thought.....

Jeff