Re: A little bit on quaker-ism

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_fx9IudMK0UF8qfsj4OYmec1MnuVJwn-2Iag7enIOSDFZSTkLaJhroWJmyR8G2Kh9Y5C>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:02:22 +0000

hcarteau_at_S6ARjuQAZefe-qpHqJkhOGOCxx5WvQBrFPiSPBtNxO0f0CH74WWEj_CHYV8YnzUjrWNvwgTL5w.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> Selon Jeff <richaje_at_jDEJKkml1lQAS_JujfsbQUfJywQ0IoRuau1R26BR41_dSw9gbENESwHGOqUgEdDSpuG53OmDyZvYhw.yahoo.invalid <mailto:richaje%40gmail.com>>:
>
> Being french, I have minimal notion of what "quakers" are. Let's see.
> There is
> the fat jovial man depicted on the quaker oats box.... that's it. Are they
> anything like the amish depicted in the movie "Witness" (excellent
> movie) ?

They are, like the Amish, pacifists, so there's that in common. Otherwise, not so much - there's no rejection of modern technology, for instance. Quaker religious ceremony is Christian service stripped down about as far as it will go - no hymns, no ritual prayers, no communion, no altar, etc. It's purely about personal communion with God (and in that sense, resembles Hrestolism, although taking the idea rather further, there being no priesthood). There used, back in the 19th century, or thereabouts, to be a dispute within the movement about how restrictive their clothing should be, but those favouring conservative and sombre dress largely lost out, so there are no such codes any longer.

It's unlikely there's any close Gloranthan parallel, because the caste system wouldn't make any sense - pacifists wouldn't have a warrior caste, and there's no priesthood. At best, some of their individual ideas might be found as part of something quite different - the personal connection with God is vaguely Hrestoli-like, but without the outward expressions of Joy, and silence is a big deal, which offers a tenuous link to the Silence movement in Umathela. But that's all.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/