LBQ (was Re: Some lively Gloranthan discussions on RPG.net)

From: Jeff <richaje_at_PNw_BiaWl6E239BncrOihLymYAjpPQOV6rWbqTat_dCUJ4Or1Ny_bPY5DL5-YyArRsa9>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:22:48 -0000

> However KoS does suggest that Argrath had a clear plan. Of course the history is written after the event, but it seems a key component of the "double quest" that he embarked upon.

The Argrathsaga often conflates result with intent.

> I would agree that Harmast didn't appear to clearly know what he was seeking. Although possibly his second quest was more specific.

Not from what I've seen. Look the LBQ does not work along the lines of "let me think who I need to get out of the Underworld and then let's do something that will unlease a huge amount of peripheral magical energy." A lot happens to the quester during the quest - the quester is always changed by the quest itself. Opportunities present itself and the quester participates with the gods in the resurrection of the cosmos. The quest releases what *needs* to be released, not necessarily what the quester wants.

BTW, Sheng is the Red Emperor's Other and to save a rapidly unraveling world, the Emperor's Other needed to be released. The problem was that Sheng was not where he could be released - even by the powerful forces unleashed by the LBQ, forcing Argrath to go far deeper into the Underworld than even Harmast did.

> In the analogous quest of the Seven Mothers, their quest seemed to be targeted, so maybe Argrath learnt from this.

The Seven Mothers really had no idea what they result would be until it was done. They were desperate and willing to take tremendous risks - just like anyone who has succeeded with the LBQ (and probably those who failed as well).

Jeff