Re: North American Gloranthan convention

From: Colin <colin.phillips_at_6TE_4-wuPSFwkeitEgwJQDk5c3s0HBsP9nAwRrnh20gL7vT7svVEOvN_xdiLW>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:03:51 +1300

Running a Con

>From an ex-pat perspective I think you really need to think about the state
of the world economy.

I now live in NZ but when I was UK based I went to LA and Chicago, Vancouver, and I also helped out in more than my fair share of Convulsions and designing TOTRM.

What I can tell you its hard, hard work

Also in the 90's we had money to burn and ways to make more of it. Airfares were cheap and we had fewer kids and more holidays.

Now some of us are on short time or laid off(redundant), everything costs more than it should and now you want us to travel across the globe to come to a Con.

You need to ask yourselves with the world economy in the pan is now a good time. The whole world and its mother will promise to come and routinely did for Convulsion but there is always the tipping point and when push comes to shove only a few are willing to hand over the shekels.

Don't get me wrong I would love for there to be more Glorantha-Cons but why not start small and run events at already big cons like Gen-con, you have a semi captive audience or start with a small Con that's only for the west coast or the east coast and let it grow.

Convulsion started small and took a few years to get running to the success it was before we all bailed. because remember after you have done a few of them its just keeps getting harder as I am sure the mighty David hall will tell you. Their fun and immensely satisfying but hard work nevertheless.

I wish you all the best.

Colin