North American Gloranthan convention

From: Rick <rmeints_at_SPxoDrX3mJQMccpvx58mkOGV6q3L4EJPqmVwowqOEWaNvP5q9q4westXx7zg6HI9vKIk>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:16:49 -0000

Based on the series of recent posts I feel this topic is worthy of its own thread with a much more precise subject line.

For openers, the first step for getting the convention planning underway would be to get some volunteers to form an exploratory organizing committee. The committee can then start going through some initial discussion items like:

Whether to be a program track at an existing convention or a stand-alone convention Where to hold the convention
When to hold the convention
How many attendees would we need to make it a success

Most of my gloranthan convention experience has been with stand-alone Gloranthan conventions, like the various RQ/Gloranthacons in the US and Australia and with "gloranthan heavy" conventions like Convulsion/Continuum in the UK and Tentacles in Germany.

Tentacles started out as a "German RQ Con" but over a decade it transformed quite successfully into a more general games convention with a heavy gloranthan and chaosium games focus. Eternalcon has pretty much continued that track of progression. Convulsion was basically a "UK Gloranthacon" when it started in 1992, but it too has transformed over the passing years into a more general games convention with a large gloranthan game track of events, and Continuum has continued that progression.

Past RQ/Glorantha cons in the US/canada have largely stuck with a "95% glorantha" game focus, with the exception of Gloranthacon VII held in Los Angeles in 1998. That was the main time having the convention be program track at a larger games convention was tried that I know of. That approach had its good and bad points, but that was also 13 years ago, and many things in terms of conventions and gaming have probably changed since then.

Without further digression on my part, is anyone interested in heading up the exploratory organizing committee for a future North American Gloranthacon?