Re: a rapidly unraveling world (was LBQ)

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_uyMQTxPBZKPBP7MPRw2P8r5XNlb5wYPHBc73T4xEFMTBhRbOfjwu1-RYO>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:32:07 -0000

> By the way, this "rapidly unraveling world" is something that I as a GM could use some help with.

We broach this topic in The Coming Storm. I think that the idea was probably best expressed in Hero Wars: the Old World is Over and you will decide the shape of the new. Hence those discussions around the 4th Age, that the PCs actions will help shape the age to come. What does this mean practically - that the players should be faced with choices where the traditional responses of their society no longer have an answer, and they have to make new choices just to survive. You need some kind of crisis that prompts a change. Those new choices may change their social structure, religious observances, even the geography and cosmology of the world.

When thinking about such changes, consider how our own world changed with societies transforming themselves. Nordic egalitarianism became Norman feudalism for example, do your PCs decide that feudalism is the answer because they have to support warriors to survive etc.

Of late I'm thinking of the end of the 3rd age as having parallels to the Bronze Age collapse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age_collapse not as a strict analogue but in terms of scale.