Re: Pithdaros questions

From: Jeff <richaje_at_bRbwocKsXXVXO0b-usYB4sGt-wPGG7YqtBB3PU1E33qPdWjsKckx4ZqmqPBA1uzesB_8>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 08:57:42 -0000

A few glosses on Trotsky's response. As always YGWV, but since we are working to publish the Guide to Glorantha later this year, I figured I'd add least add a little based on that:

> It's an entirely separate country, and currently a member of the
> Quinpolic League, although at one point it may well have been part of
> the Kingdom.

Pithdaros is not quite "an entirely separate country". It rulers have long acknowledged the House of Bailifes as King and overlord. They joined the Duchies of Nolos and Pasos in outright rebellion against the king in 1618 (the last three kings of Seshnela unsuccessfully tried to force the local ruling talars out of Nolos and rule the duchy directly).

The dukes of Nolos and their kings have often fought (primarily over what authority does the king have over the talars in Nolos), but only recently (1618) have the dukes claimed to be independent of the king.

The reasons Pithdaros joined Nolos and Pasos are unclear. Perhaps because of its proximity to those duchies; perhaps because the rulers of Pithdaros also chafed against the growing claims of the kings of Seshnela; or perhaps some other reason altogether. A good thing to explore in your campaign!

> As far as I know, it has an independent "count". Certainly there seems
> to be some sort of independent, presumably hereditary, leader.

Whether it is a "duchy" or a "county" depends on whether Pithdaros is a single administrative region or several. Trotsky is probably right in calling it a "county". BTW, those titles are just English approximations of the old MSE military title.

> So far as I'm aware, the Genertela Book map is the canonical one. The
> Glorantha Book from Hero Wars shows essentially the same geography.

The Genertela Book map is the best currently in print. We've got better maps which Colin Driver is using for the Guide, but they are Greg's hand-drawn originals.

> I don't think there's been a canonically published answer to this.
> Personally, I'd give the Ship of Life some influence, because of the
> membership of the Quinpolic League, but in general, I think the
> Pithdarans follow an idiosyncratic sect of their own.

I agree with Trotsky. It is likely a Rokari variant strongly influenced by Yomili's "Peace and Decency Movement" and the New Church of the Book. Whether it is as strongly "back to basics" as the main Rokari sect is up to you.

Jeff