Re: RW rokarism from an unexpected quarter : Algeria

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_KHK5QJz8Y18jrs36PEHA-6_2glx9VevS7P8jNXKxZH2bHz5vvb4kcZlNaJPc4J_Wwvu>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:12:09 +0000

salimondo wrote:

> --- In WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:WorldofGlorantha%40yahoogroups.com>, Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...> wrote:
>
> > Islam is a good model for Malkionism, no doubt about that, and one I
> > have used as a source myself. On the other hand, at least some Malkioni
> > do place an importance on 'saints',
>
> Plenty of Muslims do too.

On the other hand, many Christians don't, so that can cut both ways :)

> In the context of the "pir" or founder of a sufi lineage, the geometry
> of the Essence Plane finally makes sense to me after all these years.
> These aren't personal relationships with favored saints but "threads"
> of transmission within Time -- literally tariqat or "pathways."

I think this is a good way of thinking about Malkionism.

> > and, while one must be careful not
> > to take the analogies too far, I personally find Christianity is also a
> > great source for inspiration. Its seems to me that, in our
> enthusiasm to
> > demonstrate that the Malkioni are not Christian (which they clearly
> > aren't), we mustn't go so far as to throw the baby out with the
> > bathwater. There are important sources there, IMO, and it would be a
> > great shame to see them deprecated.
>
> Agreed here, but this may be another of those cases (given the Essence
> Plane, Saint Nodes, Grimoire Nodes and other developments) where the
> tub's already been emptied and we're left to muddle onward.

I don't agree here at all (and certainly hope it isn't the case!) The things you mention are all part of the reason why Malkionism isn't Christianity, and there are many more reasons beside. There are certainly plenty of other inspirations one can use for thinking about it. But there is, in my view, a difference between acknowledging that there are major points of variance and rejecting the model altogether. Malkionism isn't Islam, either, nor is it Kabbalism, or neo-Platonism, or whatever the heck other inspirations one might find. But we can (and should) use those models, where they're appropriate, and, I for one, would be very disappointed to see other models abandoned where *they* are appropriate to keep.

Going too far down that road would kill one of my favourite parts of Glorantha for me. YGWV.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/