Re: Knight, Man of All, Overman : choice of words

From: Jeff <richaje_at_VUBIz4xM0B4hsThz5xtVlBWoXUcCZLPXnz1nqnFibU6iYCoRiDnkC3tHzEQpsBR6cua->
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:58:13 -0000

> > Is the term "overmen" canonical?

No. And you won't see it used in published material.

> /// Don't know - don't care. I think it was used once in a book about Fronela.
> In fact, I didn't want to think too long about finding a substitute for
> "Knight", or "Man of All", something exotic-sounding but which would mean the
> same.

Start again. "Overman" is not the right term. "Full Man", "Complete Man", "Unified Man", "Master of All Skills", "Do-All Man", "Equal in all Arts", "Men of Merit", ... and of course, "Men of All".

That they are called Knight derives from the military role as elite troops (who ride horses, use sorcery, and generally are pretty awesome). But since the Seshnela also have elite heavy cavalry (not-spell casters but bolstered by their own wizards steeped in military grimoires), that term is not very useful to describe that Hrestoli caste.

Jeff

Jeff