Re: 25- 28 mm Sable Antelopes (was: Votnakiland)

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_mtiB-VNahXj3t8QRbtB706a_SVe1LEOCy0p1ouYOJ6rj9WnbX5UDTdA4NOT->
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:54:24 +0100 (BST)

On a very loosely-connected note, I am looking for miniatures in 25- 28 mm to use for the various Praxian riding animals. I have found Rhino, Bison, Zebra and Bolo Lizards (and will probably do conversion work on small horses to get Unicorns). I have a couple of old Morokanth too.

I have found some Pronghorn figures to use as Impala (but they might be a bit too small even for a pygmy mount, so I might I shape, paint and re-horn some Roe or Fallow Deer instead), and I am working on an approximation of High Llamas by grafting Llama necks onto Wildebeest bodies (both from Foundry), after using plaster to create a shaggy coat for their bodies. Or would giraffes with Llama heads be closer to the right shape?

I am however rather stumped by Sables (and Ostriches, but they are less important). I wondered about smoothing over some Foundry Minatures Red Deer, adding a mane with milliput and adding some scimitar-like horns using milliput and fuse wire ...

Any better ideas? Also if anyone know where you can get some good ready-made miniatures for these animals that would be great. (I know Lance and Laser did some Praxians and their mounts, but they are not cheap or easy to get in the UK nowadays, and I think some Sables were part of a range of long-discontinued Gloranthan figures made in the UK (a post months ago here suggested that they were quite big even for 28mm, so maybe they'd be good for the Elder Wilds?)

If I ever get any of my efforts up to what I think of as the required standard, I shall probably post some photos to the Glorantha Army website

Thanks,

Richard Hayes

Yahoo! Groups Links